Saturday, September 13, 2008

The New Chicken Tractor



I thought I'd throw up some pictures of the third chicken tractor, under construction. As you might tell, I am building it as time allows. I posted previously of the first stage and this is stage two. Made of PVC pipe and specially ordered three way 90's. You can find them here: http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=PVC-3-ways I know all the arguments against using PVC pipe for a chicken tractor, however, we have two existing and they have worked well for us for a while now. They are squat and open enough to the ground that wind rarely affects them. We did have a predator problem last year but that seems to have been overcome with the addition of a wooden perimeter around the bottom.

Here is another view. You can see the amount of support I build into these. That is the thing with PVC, you have to give it support or it will bend. I simply went with two foot centers. The wooden perimeter will be added next, then it is time to cover it with chicken wire. The chicken wire will be held on with zip ties. One thing to note, it is vital when gluing PVC for outdoor use, to use the BLUE outdoor glue. It is rated for the sun.


I also though I'd throw in a picture of the many, many Lemon Cuke blossoms from that huge plant!





No comments: