Thursday, June 25, 2009

Lessons Gained Through Grass Management

While out walking the property the last few days, I made an interesting discovery. Well, it was more like a realization than a discovery. Anyway, it was eye opening, to say the least.

I was looking around at the grass in the paddocks, and I am feeling really good about them this year. The grass is taking over where there had once been weeds. Don't get me wrong, we still have plenty of weeds, but I am beginning to see a noticeable difference now. I am no expert, by any means, I am simply a student trying to apply what I've learned and I have a long way to go.

However, as I was looking around, the thing that stood out to me and opened my eyes to the fact that mob grazing and managed grazing really work, is that this new grass is not just taking the pasture back, but it is getting quite thick.

This is good. As I thought about it, I looked at the toes of my shoes. They were wet. This is significant for two reasons. First, it is in the early evening when I am walking around (usually doing chores), and, second, we have had a dry spell with very hot temps for over two weeks now.

It is then that I noticed how thick the grass was getting and it dawned on me. I realized that the thicker grass was helping to maintain moisture. This is an important milestone because with the kind of hot, dry weather we have been having lately, the grass growth slows to almost a stop. Thus far, praise God, it is still growing.

The next goal, then, is to get it up to eight inches, or so. This is where my discipline fails me. Just call me captain impatient. I see the lush green stuff and I want the cows to have it. Of course, it doesn't help when they stare, longingly, with their big, brown eyes at it.

All in all, I am making progress. I have begun to fence another piece of property that will open up a new direction for us. Pray about that, if you will.

I will keep plugging away and reading. In the mean time, feel free to offer your insight with a comment, or two. I love to hear homestead wisdom, so let me have it. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: