Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Wood Splitting The Old Way

Out here, in rural Missouri, we enjoy the benefits of warm, wood heat in the winter. To be honest, we made plans to survive the Y2K non-event. Thus, we have several things on our little homestead that have remained in preparation for the next disaster, what ever that may be. Last years major ice storm was one good test as to where we stand, and a bit of a learning curve, as well.

The one thing we are most happy with is wood heat. There are so many benefits to burning wood, but the top one would fall in the category of sustainability. Look around, there are trees all over that get damaged in storms or fall over dead. The point is that they grow. As long as the property is managed well, there will be a supply of wood that will last several lifetimes.

The one question I'm most often asked is, why don't I have a splitter? Well, several reasons, really. Most people think the top reason is that I'm nuts and a glutton for punishment. That may well be true, but I have reasons none-the-less.

The top reason is that wood splitters are blasted expensive. I can't afford one, period. And the more I think about it, the more I think that even if I could afford one, I wouldn't buy one. Which leads to the other reasons I don't own one.

Again, on our farm we try to do things as sustainably as possible, with a least-cost mentality. This includes all machinery that suck fuel. Fuel costs money, and, lately, a lot of money. Every storm cloud that rolls over the middle east brings with it higher oil prices. If the president of Borneo has the hic-ups, we pay higher prices. We won't get into the maintenance of the machine, either.

Then there is me. I'm cheap labor. Forget the mantra "how much, per hour, are you worth?" stuff. With that thought, you can price yourself right out of work and onto the couch, because you will rarely get your money's worth. I don't worry about what I would pay myself.

How about this one. It is just plain good excersize. Since I left the world of sports, I rarely get sufficient excersize. Splitting wood gives a good, vigorous workout if I keep up a good pace. Here is a tip for you. Cut the wood in the winter that you will need for next year and split in the warm months. You can work up a good sweat that will clean your system of toxins. I am still striving toward this concept, myself. It is a good concept, though, don't you think?

Another reason is that I am still able. I actually like to work. Not necessarily for "the man", but I like it. I never "sat" well. Although, the older I get, the more I seem to sit, but that is another story. Put it this way, I don't sit well for a long time. I don't like the idea of wasting away in a La-Z-Boy.

One of the best reasons is that the way things are going, nationally, people are better off knowing how to do a few things. There may come a time that we have to fend for ourselves. The more we can do for ourselves, the better.

If you want a splitter, that is up to you. My back often tells me what an idiot I am. There are benefits to owning one, I'm just not ready to throw in the towel. So, don't give up on the way things used to be. You might need those skills in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love my splitter! Another FANTASTIC reason to burn wood is gov.thugs doesn't get a PENNY in taxes from it!

Jer 10:3-4