Sunday, January 10, 2010

Time To Clean The Chimney

Last night our house our house filled with smoke, which means only one thing, the chimney is plugged.  That isn't a good situation, the last thing we need is a chimney fire.  So we sweated it out, worrying about that, overnight.  It was too blasted cold yesterday to let the fire die so I could sweep it.  With the promise of warmer weather today, we let it go out.  After church, I climed up to sweep the chimney.

I had to take the insulated pipe out of the ceiling, because I had noticed creosote dripping down the outside of the inside pipe.  Once I did, I found a mess.  I don't know how, yet, but I had liquid inside the metal box that the pipe runs through.  All of it colored with creosote.  I mopped it up and cleaned it good, but now I am concerned with the cause of that.

It was a bear to get the outside, insulated pipe out.  Then it was a bear to get it back in.  Without being able to see in the hole once the pipe is in, I hope that it is seated well.  I have to worry about something.

On a bright note, I got it cleaned and a new fire burning to warm the house back up.  And I am happy to report that there are no leaks.
 

I won't explain how I used to get onto the roof, just know that it always made my wife nervous.  I had some cash stashed and I decided to use it to buy one of those extension ladders that fold up and can double as scaffolding.  What an investment!  I love it.  This thing made my life so much easier by allowing me to access the roof at the pipe, without all the other mis-guided methods I've used.  A definate life saver.

All in all, I didn't want to do this job on a Sunday afternoon, but I had to and I'm glas it is done and out of the way.  Now I am thinking of other ways I can use my new ladder.  Let's see, maybe if I..........

No comments: