Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Preparedness On A Budget-Hand Gun


If you want a gun for home defense or to carry and you don't have a lot of money, I would like to recommend Makarov-9x18.  They are nice little pistols that are fairly compact and have nice punch.  The caliber is sometimes called a 9mm, but is really 1mm shy of a true 9mm (9x19) Luger that most are familiar with. 

A few years ago, one of these pistols could be had for $129, but the price has gone up a bit due to the source in Russia drying up (among other countries).  They can still be had for around $220-$250, in that range.  Not bad when considering what you could spend.  Don't let others tell you you have to spend $700 on a decent gun, that is simply not true.  These Makarovs perform very well, every time you pull the trigger, period. 

The ammo is relatively inexpensive, also.  500 rounds can be had for under a hundred bucks.  A good price to stock up on.  Many recomend having at least 1000 rounds per weapon.  That my be a bit much with a hand gun, but you can still buy a lot of ammo for your buck.  I have listed the specs below.  Do some research, you might find these guns are right for you.  The times dictate that you be prepared for things.  Looting and riots due to disasters, or whatever.  The Makarov is a great way to get startesd without breaking the bank.  Military surplus, in many respects, is the way to go, in my opinion.





Specifications:




Type: Double/Single Action Self Loading Pistol

System of Operation: Blowback

Safety: Hammer block, slide lock, decocking, firing pin not secured

Caliber: 9x18mm (9mm Makarov), some have been converted to .380 ACP (9mm Kurz)

Capacity: 8+1 rounds

Sights: Fixed blade front, dovetailed u-notch rear, drift adjustable

Length: 6.34"

Weight (loaded): 1.71 pounds

Barrel: fixed, 3.83", 4 groove, right-hand twist

Magazine release: heel

Number of Parts: 27

4 comments:

Sarah Reid said...

Do you think this is a better choice than a .22? We were looking at getting a .22 (in addition to my .32 and DH's whateverhehas) as an inexpensive additional handgun. (At the same time, I have to get a .38 or higher to qualify for my CCW permit, and I'm not sure where this gun you posted would fit... is that higher caliber or lower than a .38? I can shoot and care for what I own, but I know little about the technical aspects of guns.)

What's the recoil like?

Scott or Pam said...

Hi Sarah, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I think the Makarov is better than a .22. That being said, anyhting that goes "bang" is going to hurt. There is nothing wrong with a .22, some folks carry one, and I am not going to tell them they're wrong. The .38 and 9mm are the same diameter (.355). The difference is that the .380 (.38) is 17mm long. The Makarov 9mm is 18mm long. The "true" 9mm Luger, is 19mm long. This amounts to a little more powder and a little more power/velocity. So, in short, the Makarov would meet the requirements for the CCW class. As for recoil, keep in mind that I'm a guy, is slight. My wifes .380 seems to have more recoil than my Mak. I hope this helps and I am gladd to see the ladies getting serious about defense. Keep it up.
Scott

Joe said...

I have a 9x18 Makarov and it has been a great little handgun. I have had a little difficulty finding ammo for it but it is possible. All in all, a great self-defense weapon.

Scott or Pam said...

Thaks, Joe. Tey looking at Cheaper Than Dirt and J and G for ammo. Another is ammoman.com