Saturday, October 16, 2010

Frugal Farm Living, Frugal Homesteading

We decided, not long ago, to tell our money what to do instead of our money telling us what to do.  This is a major paradigm shift.

Looking back at history and how homesteaders did things makes me think that we can do it to.  What do I mean?  Historically speaking, homesteaders didn't have much in the way of money or income, something that we have in common with those of yesteryear.  They had to make do with what they had, or make the things they needed with the material available.  What little money they did have, they held on to for emergencies, they didn't just go out a blow it.

Almanzo Wilder is an example.  Instead of buying into the latest chemicals and fertilizers, he used what he had on his apple trees-stove ash.  He had a major problem with his apple trees on Rock Ridge Farm and he spread wood ash around the base of the trees and that solved the problem.  I know that they didn't have chemicals back then, so he couldn't have bought into them if he wanted to.  However, he had to think outside the box and use what he had available-that is the point.  I think I will do the same with my apple trees, the pathetic things they are and see if that helps.

Homesteading doesn't have to cost a lot.  Cut some trees to build a log coop for the chickens, instead of buying lots of lumber and metal.  All that would cost is your time and gas for the chainsaw.  I am going to do this, myself.  Then I will chink it like an old log cabin, the chickens will thrive in style.

Saving money isn't easy, but not impossible.  I am living proof that you don't need a six figure income to survive.  What do you do?

No comments: