Sunday, April 15, 2012

Preaching To The Broken

This isn't very homestead related, or politically related, but I wanted to share my expirience of this morning with you.  There is a church near the one we attend that has had a bit of difficulty and their pastor resigned.  I was asked to fill in for the balance of the month-today being the first Sunday.

I went to bless, to preach (although I don't consider myself much of a preacher) and to teach.  I came away blessed myself.  The study time that I put into my sermon taught me more than I, probably taught them, which is the way it often goes.  I have preached before, filling in when needed at our church, but that was nothing compared to being looked to for answers and leadership.  This could be over my head.

I have two more Sundays with them and it is my prayer that I can give them some hope for the future.  The circumstances under which the pastor resigned are heavy, indeed.  The few that remain are down trodden and without direction.  Pray for them, if you will, that they will find their footing again.  Pray that I might be a tool in the hands of God for this purpose.  I don't know what my future is with them, other than the next two weeks, but God does.

The people that remain are broken hearted, sad, angry, frustrated and dismayed.  They once, not long ago, had a thriving ministry.  I taught them about faith, giving them a deeper understanding of God's faith in man and that God's faith is not dependant on man's faith in Him.  That faith in Him will heal all wounds and guide all our steps.  The troubles we see in this life will leave scars, but those scars, like the scars left on Christ's hands will remind us of His power.

Lift these people up to Him, if you would.

3 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I've taught, but never preached (never felt called to it). But, I know what you mean about learning more than the listeners. I will pray for the church (and YOU). God bless you for helping them.

Fredrick Flagg said...

I will be praying!

Scott or Pam said...

Thank you both!