Monday, September 1, 2008

Dancing the Happy Dance!

If oyu could see me now, you'd be laughing! I am dancing the happy dance! I know, this is foolish for me to write this but, I am happy. This is the first year with new ideas on our rotational grazing system and we have accomplished the first goal, no hay through August. As I have stated before on this blog, I started feeding hay the first part of August last year. Granted, we got much more rain this year than we did last year, and the weeds are still tall and ugly, but there is still grass out there and it is the first of September! The goal has changed now to see how far the grass can be stretched. Next year's goal is to stockpile forage.

If you would like to read a really good forum on this subject, there is one going on right now at www.homesteadingtoday.com under the "cattle" forum. Look for the title having to do with when to butcher grass fed beef-or something to that effect. There is a forum member, whom I highly respect for his knowledge, with the user name of "agmantoo". Look for it and listen to agman's wisdom. Enjoy.

No comments: