Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Lesson In Greek

I am a King James fan. I know that that version is the only, truly, preserved text that came strait from Antioch. And because of my love for the words that God, Himself, chose, it is constantly confirmed in my mind that the Textus Receptus, from which the King James is translated, is it. Now that I have stirred up some controversy, let me get to the reason for this post.

I am studying 1 Peter, chapter 3 that I am teaching on Wednesday nights, and I wanted to share what God has done with one, simple word. That word is "against".

The word "against", in scripture, is translated from the Greek word "epi". "Epi", litterally means, "up against", or, "on top or/upon".

When we hear the word "against" we have certain connotations that go with it. Things like, "I am against that legislation." Or, I am "opposed" to that idea, etc. Consequently, these are things we tend to think of when God says that He is "against" sin, or that He will "turn His face against those of iniquity".

But, when we look at the true definition from the Greek word "epi", we find out that God is not turning His face from evi;, but toward it. He is "up against it", or "on top of it". He does not turn from sin! He judges it!

Not only that, I can rest easy in the confidence that His face is in the face of my enemy, and we all know who that is!

Now, doesn't that knowledge change your connotation of the word "against"? It did for me. God's word is Holy and perfect, what a blessing.

If oyu want to read a really good book on the subject of the King James bible, use the link to the right and buy "In Awe of Thy Word." Well worth the money.

No comments: