Saturday, March 7, 2009

From Chick Brooder To Precious Moment

I started out today to build a new chick brooder for tha chicks that are due to arrive in just over a week. Talk about cutting things close! I am well into the project, now, but have come to a point that I don't know how to proceed to the next step. Par for the course for me! Now I have to give this thing some serious thought. I am sure I will figure it out, the trouble is that I may end up re-designing the whole thing. (Bummer.)

While working, I got out a new box of screws that I bought for this project yesterday. Elisabeth, my youngest, came over to watch. Do you like the box of screws that I bought you for Christmas, daddy?

She actually bought me a box of chicken wire staples, but I didn't have the heart to say anything. She just recognised the color of the box.

I sure do, honey. Was my response, not knowing what to expect as I just lied to my daughter.

Then she looked at me and in the most tender, soft voice you can imagine, she replied, I sure love you daddy. You are the best daddy in the whole world.

If I am the best, in your eyes, then that is all that matters. I almost cried. Then she gave me a big hug, for a long time. I told her that I love her too, and she went off to play.

Folks, this kind of thing will brighten any man's day. I felt a bond, a "string" that had been tied at that very moment. A string that, God help me, I shall not sever. What a precious thing.

I thank God for that couple of minutes I shared with Elisabeth. If there is anything to "take home" from this, it is this: look out for these moments and grab them. I am sure that we both will remember that "precious moment" we shared while building the chick brooder.

No comments: