Monday, October 5, 2009

Forage Diversification

I now have a couple of round bales put up to get us started for the winter. I still have that uneasy feeling that this is going to be a rough one. I think it will be a challenge to stay ahead of the weather this year.

On another note, I read about the Kerr Angus Ranch near Coyle, Oklahoma. Their goal is to produce Choice graded, 1000lb. steer entirely on grass by the age if 15 months. Who knows they may be doing it by now as the source of this information is a couple of years old. However, what tripped my radar was the grazing plan. They were using Midland bermuda with Yuchi arrowleaf clover as the base forage. Jose tall wheat and time-limit-grazed, for four hours every other day, wheat, vetch and annual rye for the cool season.

Now that is called putting some thought into your forage! I would never have thought like that. This is why it pays to keep reading and studying. The more I read the more I find that diversification is a key factor in forage. This is something for me to ponder further and try to implement in the future.

No comments: