Saturday, April 24, 2010

Chicken Tractor Additions Going Slowly

Yesterday, I learned the importance of setting the corner posts on the fence-good and tight.  I have a few "leaners" that I , apparently, didn't get the dirt packed tight enough around.  You know how it is, you dig the hole, among many, and you are ready to get on with it.  You stick the post in the ground, kick the dirt back in, pack it down and move on.  The key, or lesson, here is to make sure the dirt gets packed tight.  Trust me, fixing a leaner on a corner brace is hard with the fence all in place.  Take the time and do it right.  Learn from me, the world's biggest knucklehead.

On another note, the broilers are in week two in the brooder and are very ready to come out.  I am working on a set of waterers for the chicken tractors and keep getting waylayed by other things.  Today was the weather.  There have been intermittent showers and storms, most of the day.  It goes like this:

Take all my tools out, cut a couple of pieces of wood.
Gather all the tools up, disconnect the electric fence (lightning protection), head to the house.
Take out all the tools, fasten a couple of boards with screws, cut one more piece of wood.
Gather all the tools, head to the house.
Take out tools and finish the first project.
Gather all the tools and head to the house.
Go out side, look for scrap lumber for the next project, get wet.
Head to the house.
Go outside and begin making necessary repairs to the chicken tractors because I don't feel like taking all the tools out again.  Hearing thunder after two screws and a couple of zip ties.
Head to the house, severe thunderstorm warning.
Storm passes in 30 minutes, go back outside.
Now I am tired of the whole thing and just do my regular chores.
The sun is now shinning and I am sitting here at the computer, go figure.

In between all of that we ate lunch.  I did manage to get one of the watering stands done, nothing facy but it will work.  I will take some pictures to show what I am talking about. 

I wanted the chicks out on grass today, but I think I will wait until the weather gets a bit better.  Tomorrow might be a good time to do it, after church.

The chicks are past due as we tend to get them out on grass in about a week and a half.  They will be fine, for now, but the sooner we get them out the better.  After all, as I've said many times before, grass is the key, not only for the birds but for us.  All those Omega 3's come from the grass.

As an update on the cows my partner and I were going to buy, we decided that now is not the time.  Neither of us are ready for them, fence wise, and we cannot find a place to lease.  So, we will wait a bit.  My mom still needs to sell her dexters, if you know anyone that might be interested, let me know.

On the one hand, I am relieved that we are not getting the cows.  There was a lot of stress trying to find a place to put them in a short period of time.  On the other hand, the plans of grass finished beef have been put on hold, and that makes me bummed.  We have to wait on God and it just wasn't His time.

I am now looking into plans for a home made trailer for the garden tractor.  I have been looking on the internet but haven't come up with what I am looking for.  Let me know if you have any ideas.

That's what's happening here.  I'm sorry it's not very informative.  We haven't really done much that is new, just trying to get good at what we are doing.  I hate to add new segments to our homestead income without it fitting into the already existing things we do.  We don't want to add labor, but to compliment what we already do.  For now, we want to be the best at pastured poultry and meat rabbits and eggs that we can be.  All the while providing good food for ourselves, first, then our neighbors and prepare for the comming melt down of the USA. 

Keep in touch and thanks for stopping by.

No comments: