Monday, September 6, 2010

Trying A New Approach To Homesteading Through Old Ways

I am a history buff at heart.  I got to thinking one day, that it would be neat to try something new for this blog.  Something that would attract the interest of more people.

Since many homeschool, homesteading, small farming, sustainable living folks tend to farm or homestead in an old fashioned way, with little powered equipment and little input expense, I thought it would be neat to meld my two interests together-history and homesteading.  Many of us tend to look at past farming methods to employ today.  Taking wisdom from old timers and how they did things 100 years ago, or more and applying an updated version to our homesteads.

Frankly, there is a lot we can learn from the past.  Not everyone can afford even a small tractor, so how did people get by before there were tractors?  Homesteaders did not have access to chemical fertilizers and pesticides, so what did they do to preserve the crop?  Speaking of preserving, what did folks from bygone days do to preserve their food?  These things are interesting to me and have some value to our modern homesteads.

This is what I'm going to do from now, until whenever.  I am going to look into the past for you and post it here and look for the old wisdom that can be applied to today.  This is something of value that, I think, all homesteaders can appreciate.  I know that I will benefit from this.  So, join in and tell all your homesteading friends to come along.  I think this will be a fun ride.

I can't promise a new post every day, but I will try to be more diligent for you.  At some point, I am even thinking of putting together an email news letter on this subject.  If you are interested, leave a comment and we can talk.  I am going to leave this up for a while so, for new posts scroll down.  Thanks for stopping by.

Cedar Cove Farm

2 comments:

Carol said...

A terrific idea! I look forward to reading your posts!

Scott or Pam said...

Thanks, Carol. I will.