Monday, December 13, 2010

Neo-Organic

I recently came across the term neo-organic.  At the time, it was in the headline of an article that I did not have time to read.  Since then, I can't remember where I saw it.  I did a small bit of research to try and find the definition of this neo-term.  I have to admit that I did not spend a bunch of time doing this research as I had other things I was doing, which is nothing-neo.  So I am incredibly curious as to what, exactly, people mean by neo-organic.  If you have spent any time reading this humble blog, you will know that I am not a fan of all things organic.  I do think farmers should farm organically, naturally, let me be clear on that.  However, the USDuh organic label, to me, seems misleading as the USDuh (USDA) has proven itself inept at enforcing regulations.  How do you know when the object is truly organic?  Do you know the farmer/farm?  I think the whole thing is misleading.  So, on that note, can someone explain what is meant by neo-organic?  Is this a neo-improved version, or a neo-way of saying the same thing?  Fill me in.

1 comment:

Alana said...

I came across that label on some butternut squash at the grocery store the other day, and my dd and I were speculating what it might mean. We did note that the PLU number on it was a non-organic PLU number (five digits, starting with a number four, as opposed to a six digit number starting with a number nine, which would signify organic). Just now I logged on to research the term and found your blog! I'll have to read it later, and if I learn anything, I'll let you know.