Saturday, June 18, 2011

Farming And The Art Of Whinning

It would seem that a farmer is never satisfied.  No, let me rephrase that, a farmer is never satisfied.  All you have to do is spend some time sitting at the "liars table" at the local greasy spoon to learn this phenomonon.  Don't talk, just listen to what they have to say.

Case in point: just a month ago you heard us crying that there was too much rain.  In fact there was too much rain, we had close to 40 inches in the span of a month and a half.  It was enough to make my feet grow webs and make me walk like a duck.  I think I may have heard our youngest daughter quack once.  The lakes and streams and rivers are all still overflowing.  That was a month ago.

Since then we have had zero rain.  There is an old saying in the Ozarks that we are never more than two weeks from a drought.  Brother, ain't that the truth!  Things around here have gotten so dry that the rocks are thirsty.  The morning dew has become the morning don't.  The sun has baked everything but the pie in the oven.

Now I'm not one to whine-OK, yes I am.  But you have to understand that without rain the grass doesn't grow.  Without grass the cows will starve-have you ever noticed that the weeds seem to find a way to grow in dry weather?  They are always there and green t'boot.  I'm thinking the grass could learn a thing or two from their neighbors and show a little more gumption.

I don't even want to get into the garden, I mean we could starve.  Life won't be much fun if we have to go hungry, now would it?  OK, maybe things aren't quite that bad, but you get my point.  The main thing is that we need rain.  We went from way too much to way too little in too short of a time.  So, no, we homesteading types are never satisfied.  There is always too much of this and too little of that, or the market is low, or the economy stinks etc...

The thing to do is to quit whinning and get on with life, right?  But whinning brings a temporary relief for many, yes, me too.  God says to trust in Him, HE makes it rain.  So I need to look to Him for daily sustenance, which goes beyond food and grass and into the spiritual.  With the Spiritual self in line, whinning becaomes a non-issue.  "If a man lacks anything, let him ask in wisdom..."  You knew there had to be a spiritual lesson in this, right?  So, I'm going to shower the sweat from my body and gaze into the face of God and know that He is, then I will TRY not to whine tomorrow, or in ten minutes for that matter.  Ugh.

No comments: