Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Uninvited Guests!

Yesterday as I was trimming the grass my wife called me over to the small chicken tractor that we have a momma hen and her chicks in.  She told me there was a snake in the chicken tractor, so I lifted the lid and saw the tail.  It was coiled up under the nest box.  I removed the nest box to get at the snake and discovered not one but two snakes.  Both black snakes, coiled up with each other.  Maybe they were going to mate there, but I doubt it.  Thankfully they didn't get any of the chicks, so we were able to save the day.The largest one measured 5.5 feet and the smaller one measured 4.5 feet.  They could have eaten a few chicks!


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

It's a snake day I guess. I went out just before dark and ran across a copperhead. Before Rhiannon came along, I'd relocate them, but now, poisonous snakes are disposed of. I also used to relocate the black snakes, but once they find out where the easy meals are, your only option is to kill them.....or keep feeding them.

Scott or Pam said...

Our sentiments as well. I have also heard that relocating them will kill them as they are unfamiliar with their surroundings. Don't know if that's true or not.