A comparison of grassfed versus grainfed beef by Clemson University has found ten health advantages for consumers in the grassfed product. These are:
1. Lower in total fat
2. Higher in beta-carotene
3. Higher in vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol)
4. Higher in B-vitamins and riboflavin
5. Higher in minerals calcium, magnesium and potassium
6. Higher in total omega 3's
7. A healthier ration of omega 3 to omega 6 fats (1.65 vs 4.85)
8. Higher in CLA (a potential cancer fighter)
9. Higher in vaccenic acid ( which can be transformed into CLA)
10. Lower in saturated fats linked with heart disease.
This study was published in the June issue of the Journal of Animal Science.